19 February 2006

NL Quest: The First Three Days

Overall I had very good results my first day. I made a whopping $0.61 at PokerStars in a little over 6.5 table hours. One thing I recognized was that doubling up from $2 to $4 was a bit harder than I imagined here. Despite the looseness of the tables, the PokerStars opponents were reluctant to make a move with their chips, and thus the pots I managed to win, were small. Not so at Ultimate Bet. In 4.4 table hours I managed to make $4.27, which is spectacular in terms of Big Blinds. Add to this the $0.72 bonus I cleared, and I finished at almost $5.

On day two, I ran into a whole bunch of trouble at PokerStars, losing two buy-ins when my KK ran into AA twice, and then losing a bit more when AKo all-in was called by J7o, which managed, despite a K43 flop, to hit running 65 for the straight. On UB, I managed to virtually break even, winning 4 cents [but clearing $1.21 in bonus].

The third day, Saturday 2/18, I decided to give the quest a little rest, and decided to try my luck at Bodog.com's NL micro-tables. Their lowest NL tables are $0.05/$0.10, and I decided to try playing at only $2. I also decided that since this wasn't part of the quest, I'd play without the shackles of the quest rules. What a wonderful result. I played about 4 hours, single table, and managed to turn the $2 into $10.13, twice winning big with 99. First time was pure heaven, tripling up. I flopped 988, was all-in against two players by the turn with one card to come and them holding 83 and Q8, and drawing dead. The second time I doubled up when I hit another set. Hitting a set of 6s cemented the session.

No comments: