19 February 2006

Embarking upon a NL quest

Recently I embarked on a NL quest whereupon I would endeavor to start minimally staked at the lowest NL tables available at both Ultimate Bet [UB] and PokerStars[PS]. I would start by buying-in at each table I played with 40% of the maximum buy-in. Likewise, I would ensure that I started with 100 buy-ins for that level. There is a large difference between the two sites. UB's max buy-in at the $0.01/$0.02 tables was set at 100 x Big Blind. PS' is 250 x Big Blind. Thus the max buy-ins at their lowest levels are $2 and $5, respectively. This means that at 40%, my buy-ins would be $0.80 [UB] and $2 [PS]. Since I wanted 100 buy-ins at each site, I needed to ensure that I was bankrolled $80 [UB], and $200 [PS]. Initially, the only hands I would play are AA, KK, QQ and AK [suited or not]. These hands would see me all-in by the flop, giving my opponents no opportunity to bluff me on later streets. Every Monday, and anytime I double up my quest bankroll, I will add another hand to the mix. These hands can be played as I see fit. In the blinds, I would use the same starting requirements that normally would be used for my fixed-limit game, based upon action to me in every given circumstance. Finally, everytime I double through on a table, I will play out the orbit, and bank the win prior to posting another blind. Then switch to another table, and start the process all over again at a new table.

No comments: